Monday, February 11, 2013

It's a BOY! Asher Glen Eichenberger

Well it's official - I am a TOTAL loser for not posting anything about the birth of our third child until said child is 2 weeks old!

Asher Glen Eichenberger was born on Monday, January 28th at 4:55 PM and weighed in at 7lbs 8oz and was 19.75in long.  I had a regularly scheduled OB appointment that morning, at 38 weeks 1 day, but had been having fairly regular contractions with pain since the evening prior.  The doctor suggested I hang around the hospital and walk around and eat something with Jake because she anticipated that we would be in full blown labor within a few hours!

She was *definitely* right and by noon after a quick Subway lunch I was realizing that these contractions were not going away and if anything they were picking up.  We took a long walk all the way to labor & delivery, knowing this would be our last few steps just as a family of 4.  I have to admit, it was TOTALLY surreal having everything play out so slowly in comparison to the last two births where I was startled awake and had my water break...there was no time to think about anything then, but this time there was PLENTY of time.

We were admitted around 12:30 PM, got an epidural at 1:30 PM (and although it only seemed to take on the left side, repositioning actually got it to take on the right side as well for the very FIRST time!), and then at 2:30 PM an OB resident came in to break my water.  Scratch that - TRY to break my water.  It was unsuccessful.  I didn't think you *could* be unsuccessful, but apparently because Asher was fully engaged at this point, all of the water was behind him and thus too high up.

Around 4:15 PM I called the nurse in because I was about 95% certain it was time to push.  I was correct, but we had to wait for my doctor who was still busy in her clinic.  Luckily it wasn't bad at all because the epidural was still working very well.  The doctor got there at 4:45 PM, I started pushing at 4:50 PM, and it only took 2 pushes and Asher was out!

I honestly didn't even know labor and delivery could be *that* simple...even recovery was a BREEZE compared to Cole and Vera.  That said, I am *not* jumping on the bandwagon to have #4 any time soon ;-)

Asher means "happy" in Hebrew (my dad's name) and Asher was also a son of Jacob, so it works out well.  Glen was my dad's oldest brother, a recording artist, who died when I was a little girl.  I'm thinking we'll probably inadvertently shorten it to Ash as we always end up shortening our kids' names.

I'll leave you with a picture of Asher with his proud big sister...





1 comment:

Bri said...

That picture makes me so happy :)