Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The White Unicorn Productive Day for Stay-at-Home Moms

Ever feel like the stars have just aligned and your day has gone from being pretty mundane to truly, amazingly productive?  Yeah.  That is what happened to me today.  I finished a gown order last night and knew I would need to drop it by USPS this morning, but honestly I had no other plans for the day. As a stay-at-home mom, this can be a really great thing or a horrible thing, depending on the mood of your kids at the moment.

I drove to the post office and started thinking about how both kids need new tennis shoes...Vera's big toe is practically sticking out of one of her shoes because they are so small and Cole has pretty savagely broken down the backs of his tennis shoes, I'm thinking making them quite uncomfortable to wear around (although he hasn't complained).  I NEVER go shoe shopping with just me and the kids...it becomes a kind of sad circus show with Vera removing shoes from displays and Cole running around making loud noises.  Heck, that is what it looks like when I bring Jake with me too.  And add that to my current 35.5 week state, you could literally sell tickets to this show.  For whatever reason, though, I chose to go through with it and take my chances.  The weather was warm and Rack Room Shoes wasn't crowded...I knew I needed to do it now, pre-new baby.

Although Vera did take a few shoes off the displays and Cole did manage to use his outdoor voice on more than one occassion, the trip was actually a major success!  Cole basically got the same New Balance shoes he had before, but a half size larger...and Vera went up a whole size in a different pair of New Balances.  Vera's were on sale and both shoes were buy one get one 50% off.  Score!

After feeling pretty accomplished, I realized I was dangerously low on gas, so we stopped at the Shell station to fill up.  Then I started thinking again (dangerous, I know) - wouldn't it be awesome to go ahead and make a grocery trip too?  I mean Publix was RIGHT THERE...so after getting rockstar parking, we went inside.  This was more difficult.  Cole wanted a "car cart," per usual, and it did work to appease both of them for the first 5 minutes, but once we got to the cereal aisle they were at each other's throats sitting next to each other.  I threatened spankings and timeouts at least a dozen times...per kid.  But we made it through!  Heck, on the way home I even stopped at McDonald's for a 20 piece McNugget, large fry, and chicken bacon ranch salad (for myself).  Lunch = done.

The kids let me make it through putting away all the cold groceries and taking about 4 bites of my salad before they demanded to go out in the back yard.  The yard looks HIDEOUS right now as the grass is getting a little long (although still dormant and so it is just more flattened and brown-ish), PLUS we pretty much never pick up after the dogs so that was awesome.  I managed to clean up the yard AND rake about 90% of it...well...before stepping in a fire ant hill.  I should really do something about that.

Anyway, as you can see, this series of events typically does NOT occur all before 1pm in our house.  I'm going to try to continue this winning streak by picking out all the newborn/0-3mo/3-6mo clothes we have and washing/folding/hanging them during Vera's nap/Cole's "quiet time."  Wish me luck.



No comments: