Monday, January 14, 2013

Could Tuesday, January 22nd, Be THE Day?!

Let me first start by saying I'm not a fan of inductions when it comes to birth.  I'm a firm believer that when it comes to the "right time," babies know best.  Some kids choose to come early, others late, and a couple decide to come right on time.  My first two kids have determined their approximate birth dates/times all on their own accord...first time it worked like a charm...second time...errr....not so much.

Most of you know Vera's birth story...and I'm sure it is on this blog (somewhere).  I know it well.  Too well.  In fact, I would say that based on my post-Vera reactions to the labor and delivery wing at MCG, its' sights, sounds, and smells, I may even have some mild post traumatic stress disorder resulting from that fateful morning.  Melodramatic, I know.  Talk to Jake - he has to live with me.

Anyway, I'm glad that I am sitting here NOT in labor at 36 weeks 1 goal is still to deliver as close to 38 weeks as possible (the "real" full term mark, according to pediatricians).  My doctor is excellent and has done everything in her power to help me feel more comfortable about labor and delivery.  She has put together a "plan" for me that has definitely put my mind more at ease about the entire thing.

Without going into too much GORY detail, if next Tuesday, January 22nd, I am still progressing as I have been for the past 3 weeks, we have some options.  She can send me upstairs "actively contracting"  right then and there, or we can determine a date/time for me to come in "actively contracting" to have the baby.  Her best guess, based on the past 2 out of 2 births I have had, is that once my water is broken, intense contractions will almost immediately follow and this baby will be born fairly quickly.

Of course I'm still hoping for a longer labor than with Vera as she did have some slightly negative things happen as a result of her precipitate birth - namely initially failing her hearing test on one side and nursing horribly (which was also due to her tongue tie, which was corrected 3 days after she was born).  Maybe we can have a 6 hour labor/delivery instead of a 3 hour one...maybe...?

No comments: