Friday, October 19, 2012

Life Update

A lot has happened in the last few weeks...first and most awesomely, the Etsy shop has really taken off (as I mentioned in my prior post).  Just this morning I received yet ANOTHER Halloween costume order, but this time for a Monarch butterfly tutu gown.  I hope I'm up for the challenge...did I mention it is for an 8 year old??  Somehow I have to go from making 18in long gowns to a 42in gown!!

In other news, Baby E #3 is doing well.  I had a checkup yesterday where I found out that they are a mover as the OB was having to track them just to get a good listen with the doppler.  Nice.  Dr. Braun said the same thing about Cole...oh goodie.  I did get one curveball while at my appointment, however. Apparently at the ripe old age of 23 weeks along, I am *already* spilling protein!  Initially there was no protein, then 4 weeks later I had a level of 30, 4 more weeks later it was still at 30, and now it is at 100. Luckily I still have low blood pressure, so the doctor thinks it is most likely not a sign of preeclampsia.  If anything, it is a sign of kidney stones (big shocker there).  I did have some pain over the last couple weeks, not enough to take meds, so that is my guess too.  I'm trying to drink as much water as possible...but honestly I don't feel like I could ever drink enough water while pregnant or nursing to counteract my body becoming a kidney stone factory.

It is finally FALL in Augusta!  And by "fall" I simply mean that the highs are now in the low 80s or below, which is fantastic.  I can finally put the kids in pants and occasionally long sleeved shirts too...amazing.  We have all sorts of fall scents going on in our house, from the cinnamon broom in the front hall to the pumpkin Bath & Body Works wallflower scented oil in the living room.  I have also already made spiced cider twice now...thoroughly obsessed.

Poor Vera seems to be our more "sickly" kid now...Cole was and is rarely sick, having his very first real stomach virus about a month ago.  Vera, though, has managed to skip happily along from one illness to the next with virtually no breaks in between.  The most recent sickness?  A double ear infection.  This was the first ear infection I have ever encountered with either of my kids!  Maybe Cole knew what he was doing after all with those 1 hour nursing sessions every 90 minutes for the first 6 months of his life...who knows.

Today was a surprisingly good Friday thanks to Darcy.  First I headed to Publix to pick up about half a dozen much needed items (milk being one of them) and bought myself one of those insulated bags that keeps your frozen/refrigerated food cold for up to 3 hours.  Totally leaving this bag in the car from now on as it REALLY keeps everything cold for a LONG time - think grocery/Costco shopping before mother's day out/preschool pick up.  We then walked next door to Great Clips where Cole and Brandt and Carter all got their hair cut.  Glad to have that checked off our to do list.  The girls were (of course) on their best behavior.  After Great Clips we bounced over to Lowe's for some pre-emergent that I desperately need to put down on both the front and back yards.  I am SO done with our yard being the only one in the neighborhood that is still struggling with dumb crabgrass.  Anyway, after a productive morning and a Burger King lunch, the kids went down for a nap and I went to work on my second Peacock dress, which I was somehow able to successfully finish.

After a short hiatus from cooking/baking, I am back in full force trying at least 2 or 3 new recipes each week.  Of course we almost always have the old faithful "taco" and "spaghetti" nights, but I have also recently tried out a few of these Pinterest gems with some success...


Chicken Alfredo & Rice Casserole
Kentucky Hot Brown Bake
Lima Bean Soup
PW's Spicy Lemon Garlic Shrimp
The Greatest Queso That Ever Lived
Baked Tacos
Mini Pizzas from Dinner Rolls
Beef Stroganoff (in the pressure cooker)
Brown Butter Crinkles

And I could go on...and on...and on...but for tonight's dinner, Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches.

I wish I could say I was excited that today is Friday, but alas, Jake is working all weekend so today seems very much like a typical weekday.  I'm currently looking forward to next Friday when the kids get to spend time with the grandparents and Jake and I get to have Saturday and Sunday to see a movie...or go to a restaurant...WITHOUT kids!!


No comments: