Friday, August 3, 2012

Dating Ultrasound is Today

Today I get to find out if I am actually correct about my February 10th due date (which as we all know I *certainly* must be, haha).  Of course this is the first "real" ultrasound I'll have at MCG, although I did have a super quick one two appointments ago.  In honor of today, I'm posting the infamous early ultrasound study that is about 97% accurate for determining gender far earlier than a typical gender scan.  Cole and Vera were both identified correctly using this method...so for funsies, pull out your early ultrasounds if you've got them and check it out!

Relationship Between Placental Location and Fetal Gender



2 comments:

keisha said...

So, I guess all three of my kids are abnormalities! The 2nd girl's was centered at the top of my uterus. The other two (1 boy, 1 girl) were centered at the back of the uterus...weird, huh?

Amanda E. said...

Yeah - it is difficult when they are closer to center as you typically need a radiologist to read the scan. Also when they are centered many times it is helpful to look for the umbilical cord specifically. Although I like to look at a later first trimester scan (11-13wks) you can go to an earlier ultrasound (6wks) and look for the chorinic villi (which I believe is part of the primitive placenta early on). I had thought before that Cole and Vera were wrong until I realized that I was using my second u/s (for clarity) and it was a transabdominal, so I needed to flip the images since it is a mirror of what is actually going on.