Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Empty Calendar Day

Today is Wednesday...the day I had NOTHING planned...well, nothing except to stay home all day and slow cook a roast in my oven (thanks Pioneer Woman).  Naturally today became the world's busiest day, though.  A good friend of mine called me up in a panic this morning around 10am, wanting to let me know about this knock-down, drag out sale at our Food Lion up the street.  Apparently it is one of the twenty-something stores that have been underperforming and thus is going out of business.  They marked EVERYTHING (sans liquor/beer) to 50% off!  Needless to say I immediately slapped on Cole's shoes, strapped Vera into her car seat, and drove like a madman 0.2 miles to the grocery store to see what they still had (all while calling another friend to continue the notification chain).

Thank goodness for Mum Mums because they kept Vera quiet and happy the entire shopping trip.  It only took me about 10 minutes to browse the pantry-type aisles, grab my goods, and then head to the checkout.  I was too afraid to get much frozen or refrigerated stuff since the lines were uber long and in 15 minutes the friend who called me had only moved up TWO PEOPLE in her line.  Luckily the lines started moving quickly and we only waited about 20 minutes in the checkout lane.

What did I buy?  Hmmm...weird stuff.  Duck sauce (I know, but 50% off?!), Grape Fanta, about 16 different types of spreadable butter (light, olive oil, cinnamon sugar...the list goes on), and BBQ Kettle chips were all in my cart, plus a ton of other stuff.  I must say that baby food is where I made it big...paying $0.55 for every TWO 3.5oz containers was totally awesome, as was 50% off the freeze dried yogurt melts (which are ridiculously expensive with insanely small packaging).  Of course later I lamented what I had forgotten to buy...and I felt like I was in Supermarket Sweep.  I should have looked for Blue Bell ice cream (half off an $8 container would have been great) and I probably should have stocked up for the next couple years on diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, yada yada.  I just kept thinking about how limited our space is and how I really did NOT want to move 6,000 lbs of food to our next rental in April.

We made it home at 11:30am, just in time for me to get refrigerated/frozen foods put away, feed Vera, and then turn around and hop in the car again.  Vera has yet to have her flu shot (she was a July baby and just turned 6 months on the 5th, the first available time that she *could* be vaccinated), and so Jake signed us up this morning for his afternoon clinic so she could get her first of two.  Although I was glad to get the first one out of the way today, it was a LOT to accomplish.  Plus we decided to do an impromptu "lunch at work with daddy" and so I swung through the Checker's drive through to order a wholesome meal for us.

Cole loved eating with Jake and seeing the clinic, where he spends every single Wednesday afternoon beginning this past July and ending in June of 2014.  The nurses were "ooohing" and "ahhhing" over Cole, Vera, and Cole's "skateboard," bahaha (which he LOVES...the attention, that is...well, and the skateboard).  Vera did pretty well with the shot...initial stick was nothing, but the actual vaccine was a different story and she wasn't incredibly happy for about 3 seconds...but then calm again.  Once we got situated and everyone was buckled into the car again for our drive home it was 2pm...and I was thinking there was NO way I could get this roast and mashed potatoes done for tonight.

I got home around 2:15pm, got Cole some Grape Fanta (per his request), situated him on our bed with PBS on TV, changed, nursed, & put Vera into her crib, and then put Cole down for his nap.  Phew.  Ridiculous.  Utterly ridiculous.  Keep in mind I am not mentioning the incessant "do you need to go potty?" questioning I have to do with Cole...and the actual pottying he does (which is a TON)...both in restrooms and using his travel potty in the back of the SUV (don't judge...we live in Georgia...and it works).  All of this was done by 2:40pm and FINALLY I had some time to fix this roast...and these mashed potatoes.

PW's Perfect Pot Roast

mashed pot 080
PW's Creamy Mashed Potatoes


And now I am sitting on the couch blogging while Jake plays games on the computer (he got home WAY early at 4:15pm!), Cole sleeps in his toddler bed, and Vera babbles to herself in her crib.  Aside from my back KILLING me from standing while cooking (I guess it is an occupational hazard), I am pretty good.  Life is pretty good.


No comments: