Friday, November 4, 2011

Doctor's Appointments Galore

I had two follow up appointments yesterday - one at the Nephrologist's office, the other at the Urologist's office.  Here are some basic takeaways from the visits...

*I am a kidney stone factory (but I guess I knew that already).
*I have 3 *new* stones in my right kidney (hip hip hooray!), but no worries...they are all "small" (as in less than 5mm, bahaha).
*I have ZERO stones in my left kidney, even though that was where my most recent episode of pain was located.
*Two radiologists finally concluded that what they thought was a massive stone (over 1 cm) is PROBABLY a calcification in my ovary as shown in the CAT scan w/ contrast & 2 KUBs that I have had done.
*I opted to wait this one out.  If I have any more pain on my left side, I will go in and they will do a pyloregram where they shoot dye into my ureter through the bladder to further investigate that calcification.  If I have pain on my right side, I'll just have to grin and bear it (with the help of good 'ole "perky" Percocet) and assume that it is one of the 3 stones in there moving...should be able to pass all of those w/o incident.
*I am now on potassium citrate because I have super low citrate levels and don't seem to absorb any of the citrate I get in my diet (called hypocitraturia).  Not sure why I have this, but it could have to do with my chronic stomach issues which may interfere with my absorption of citrate...who knows.
*I am under strict orders to drink at least 3 liters of water each day.  Still trying to figure out how to do that and still be able to care for children...or myself...there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to drink that much.



No comments: