Friday, July 1, 2011

July 1st - The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

Today marked the very first day of work as a physician for Jake :-D  Instead of simply handing over gobs of cash to someone to get to "practice" his skills, he is now actually working for a paycheck.  Amazing.  To celebrate, we headed to lunch at Takosushi, one of our favorite places here in Augusta...actually the one we went to was in Evans, but whatev.  And in case you are wondering what specialty would allow Jake to have a lunch break with his family on his very first day, no worries - this month he is in the ER and thus has quite a few 2nd shifts.  Today he starts at 4pm and goes until 1am (probably more like 1:30 or 2am), so instead of having dinner together we just did lunch.  We tried to prep Cole before his nap that daddy will not be there for dinner after he wakes up, but that when he wakes up in the morning he will be there.  He looked really sad and kept repeating "din-din, din-din, din-din daddy!"  When he isn't on a 4-1am shift it is a 5-2am or an 11-8pm.  I'm not complaining, however, as 9 hour shifts seem like cake compared to what I was expecting.

Today also marks day one of our GHSU-MCG benefits!  Yay!  We are working on getting temporary ID cards today just in case I need to head to the hospital early.  Which reminds me---I am 37 weeks today...officially full term.  How crazy?!  To celebrate this milestone I have been contracting randomly for the past week or so...the contractions become regular but only when I sit down (weird).  Although there will never be a "good" time to go into labor at least when you look at Jake's schedule, it would be nice if it happened sometime next week during the week.  Cole will be in a Kindermusik day camp from 9:30-11:30am each weekday morning next week and will be staying at the lakehouse with mom.  It would be nice for me to only have to worry about getting myself to the hospital and not have to determine last minute childcare for Cole once I realize I am actually in active labor.

Well I should go "plan" dinner since it is just Cole and I...basically cooking for one (which I despise).

No comments: