Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dinner Tonight - Crock Pot Baby Back Ribs

This morning I pulled out the old trusty "Fix it and Forget it" crockpot cookbook I got at one of my wedding showers way back in 2005.  I had dog-eared quite a few pages, marking both recipes I had tried and loved and also others that I really wanted to try.  I bought some baby back ribs from Kroger a while back and finally defrosted them over the past couple of days in the fridge, so what better idea to slow cook some ribs!

Here are the basic ingredients...

*baby back ribs (1 rack)
*salt & pepper to taste (optional)
*2 onions, sliced
*16-24oz BBQ sauce

Cut up the ribs into serving-size pieces (like my mom, I use kitchen scissors to do this stuff...it is utterly ridiculous to attempt to get out a massive knife and cut these suckers...way too much effort); season with salt & pepper if you wish (I TOTALLY spaced on this one, duh) and dump in crock pot; place sliced onions on top (I only used 1/2 an onion, Jake isn't a huge fan of onion); and lastly, dump on the BBQ sauce (as much or as little as you like).  Turn crock pot on high for 1 hour then crank it down to low for 8 more hours.  We plan on completing the meal with baked beans and corn on the cob (buttered w/ salt & pepper and grilled in foil...the best way).

Not much of a recipe, I know, but pretty easy (aside from the blood & guts feeling when you are cutting up those ribs...eh).  It is a great thing I am in my third trimester...I wouldn't have made it through the rib-cutting expedition nearly as unscathed a few months ago.  I'll have to update you all to let you know if this ends up being any good.  I would say it has quite a bit to do with the BBQ sauce that you use.  Personally, we LOVE Open Pit BBQ sauce, but it doesn't tend to stand up to slow-cooking very well much past 4-6 hours and starts to have a more "burned" taste.  This time I am trying Stubb's BBQ sauce as it is thicker and looks like it may be fine for 8-9 hours...

Now off to the grocery (with the rest of the Saturday masses) for all of the random stuff that we just realized we are missing.

*UPDATE*  Over all pretty good!  We really love that Stubb's BBQ sauce :-D

2 comments:

Ashley E. said...

I have a variation on this and it is TO DIE for...let me know how these turn out!

Amanda E. said...

This was in honor of your crock pot ribs ;-) I'll be sure to let you know if they are good (or if I manage to screw them up...bahaha).