Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not Sure What to Call this One

This past week I have had two friends miscarry their babies.  I will admit that before I got pregnant with Cole I thought about miscarriage differently.  It is hard to grasp the full depth and understanding of the concept until you have delivered a baby...but at that point it hits you.  This is how things are "supposed" to be.  When you get pregnant you automatically assume (if you are like me and have had no prior complications or issues) that roughly 9 months later you will give birth to a live baby.  For some people, however, tragedy strikes.  And then for fewer people, tragedy strikes more than once.  To say it is not fair would be the understatement of the century.

The March of Dimes reports that roughly 10 to 15% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage, a pregnancy loss occuring before 20 weeks.  Unfortunately that number jumps even higher to about 40% of all pregnancies when you consider that many women may miscarry before they even know that they are pregnant.  Of course when you read this as a pregnant person, it becomes incredibly scary...and you wonder how could it NOT be you.

I wish that, in all my humanness, there would be something that I could say to all the women who have miscarried or given birth to stillborn babies to somehow ease their pain.  Throughout the years, however, I have found that there really is nothing that anyone can say to take even the smallest amount of pain away.  Instead we pray because we know that only God could even begin heal a wound like this.

No comments: