Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jillian Michaels - Wow.

Just this morning I was on my laptop, messing around, checking up on all of the sites I typically visit to get caught up while Cole was asleep for his (2 hour!) morning nap. I went to my favorite site, Celebrity Pregnancy, to find that John Travolta & Kelly Preston are expecting, yay! But as I read on I saw the following snippet on Jillian Michaels and her total word vomit episode:

Jillian Michaels wants to adopt to preserve her body

In a recent article in Women’s Health magazine, Biggest Loser trainer Jillian Michaels admitted that she does not want to sacrifice her body for the sake of pregnancy.
She said, “I’m going to adopt. I can’t handle doing that to my body… Also, when you rescue something, it’s like rescuing a part of yourself.”
After receiving much heat for those comments, she posted the following statement on her blog:
Let Me Clear Something Up…
By now you’ve read — or read about — an article featuring me in Women’s Health magazine. There is a misunderstanding circulating in the press about my personal choice to not get pregnant that I want to clear up for all of you. I think that pregnancy is admirable and selfless. I am not “anti-pregnancy,” as it’s been reported. In fact, I applaud all of the mothers on my site – and the millions of women who choose to give birth.
I’ve already told you that even though I look ripped now, I spent my early years constantly struggling with excess weight. As a former fat kid, I have remnant body issues left over from childhood which leads me to make adoption my personal choice down the road. I also think that adoption is admirable and selfless and I look forward to the day that I can make that dream a reality.
xo,
J
Picture by: TC / London Ent / Splash News
Dissappointed doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I feel about Jillian Michaels right now. Yes, it was fine (and totally warranted) for her to go ahead and follow up her ridiculous statement with a (lousy) explanation as to why she totally threw every mom under the bus, but sometimes you need to stop and think before you let it all hang out. The vast majority of Jillian Michaels' loyal followers are mothers, and a very large percentage of these are biological mothers. To say "well that's fine for YOU, but I would never do that to MY body" is obnoxious, to say the least, and on top of that a massive business mistake.
I think all mothers should be applauded, no matter if they have given birth or adopted or fostered. I truly hope Jillian's comments don't hurt the women out there who are unable to have children of their own. And is "saving your figure" even an applicable check box under "reasons you would like to adopt" on an adoption application? Hmmm. There should be a better reason, like saving a child from a life without loving parents.

No comments: