Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Worst Day

Boy oh boy do our days go up and down. Today started out rocky with Cole waking up entirely too much between the hours of 4:00 AM and 10:45 AM. But then we went to run some errands, which was definitely more fun. First we went to Keystone at the Crossing to get the Beaba Babycook baby food maker from Williams-Sonoma with our leftover wedding gift card (copyright 2006...wow). Then Cole decided to nap, which was wonderful since he was super cranky all day, in the Quinny while Jake and I shared a Philly Cheesesteak. We then hit the Baby Gap to pick up some clearance items for Cole and a couple of gifts.

At this point we headed over to Babies 'R Us to buy some babyproofing items, as we are trying to start the process and finish by mid-February, and some homemade baby food storage cubes. Jake had just received his Nook from me in the mail (late Christmas present) and so we walked down to Barnes & Noble to check to see if they sold accessories for it in store. Of COURSE they don't (way to support your product B&N), so we walked back to the car. Here is when the drama began.

I folded the stroller while Jake placed Cole in his new convertible Orbit carseat. As I lifted the stroller into the trunk, I made a huge noise, and Jake said "Hey, was that you?" I said "Yeah," thinking he meant the noise from the stroller, when in actuality he had meant "Was that you who just locked all of the car doors." Apparently the car decided to lock all of the doors. Unfortunately we found this out a little too late, just after I closed the trunk (where inevitably I accidentally had left my car keys).

I started to panic while Jake called 9-1-1. They connected him to the local fire department and asked for our address. We thought they would send someone out in a car, but no. About two minutes later we hear ROARING sirens. Then a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, fire truck pulls into the parking lot and parks in the middle of the road, next to our car. For the next 45 minutes they tried prying open the door at every angle to shove wires/metal hooks into the car and hit the unlock button. It turns out that was impossible to do, so they ended up opening it by physically pulling up the lock on the passenger side door with this metal rod.

During this dramatic scene a policeman managed to show up, joking about how many firemen it takes to break into a car. The weirdest part about this entire scene was seeing how many people, onlookers who were not there to help, became interested and thus walked RIGHT UP to us and managed to stand directly next to our car. Jake and I were trying to get out of the way as these metal rods they were using were super long and could easily hit anyone within range. Too bad these idiot, nosy people weren't whacked in the face with it. One guy I just managed to stare down for a full minute. Naturally he was HOPING to see blood and guts somewhere. People are so ridiculous.

Anyway---on the upside, I used our Beaba Babycook tonight to make homemade carrot puree and apple-pear-banana puree. I think it turned out really well! And it was super fast ;-) I hope to actually get to the grocery tomorrow (that was on our list of things to do for today, but seeing as how well we did at BRU, we decided to skip it for today) and buy some more exotic fruits/veggies for Cole to try with the Beaba. We are looking at doing cantaloupe, avocado, mango, kiwi, peas, and green beans. I thought it would be this huge ordeal, but it looks like the Beaba is REALLY simplifying things!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is the funniest story I have ever heard. Was Cole awake or napping during all this?

Jake said...

Cole was staring at firefighters in gear for the first 20 minutes, but spent the last 25 minutes screaming. (Probably because he was sitting in his own filth.)

"9-1-1 what's your emergency?"

"Uhh....somebody locked my kid in my car"