Tuesday, November 17, 2009

More Milestones

Let me start by saying this: last night was a freaking nightmare. We began by putting Cole in the shower with Jake (where he promptly fell asleep as he always does in the shower) at 8:00 PM. I got him out of the shower and dressed him in his PJs around 8:20 PM and then he started his last feeding for the night around 8:30 PM. After he fell asleep, I went ahead and rocked him for a bit longer since that seems to help ensure that he is indeed asleep and not just in some short-lived milk coma.

Once I was sure he was fast asleep (limp arms), I made the transition from my arms/rocking chair to the crib ever so carefully (as usual). His eyes then POP open and he begins screaming. I just took him out immediately so as not to have him get all worked up and ridiculous and started rocking him again with his pacifier. He went back to sleep and so I tried to transition him once more. This time he didn't protest initially. But about 10 minutes later he was screaming so Jake tried his luck. Jake walked around the nursery holding Cole as he screamed bloody murder, getting louder and louder no matter what he did.

By this point it was 10:45 PM...yes, it had been almost 3 hours since we began his bedtime routine. I tried feeding him AGAIN and that finally did it. He slept from 11:00 PM to 6:40 AM, and then 7:10 AM to 9:40 AM which was EXCELLENT. I just wish the bedtime routine could be shortened to 1 hour...from 3. I will admit, this scenario has only happened maybe half a dozen times. Typically it takes about 1.5 hours to go from bath to completely sound asleep.

We are about 90% certain that Cole is teething right now based on the vast quantity of drool he has been producing the last month and his sudden sleeping difficulties. Infant Motrin has been amazing, but I am always weary of just giving it to him before bed without him being in full blown screaming mode. We don't want to unnecessarily medicate him...but I think we might try some pre-screaming Motrin tonight to see if that helps our routine. We have definitely been helped by Hyland's Teething Gel, a homeopathic non-benzocaine remedy.

At Cole's 4 month appointment last week he weighed in at a whopping 16 lbs 3 oz! And I am thinking by now he has already doubled his birthweight (initially he was 8 lbs 3 oz). The doctor gave us the all clear to start cereal which we did this past Saturday. He did amazingly well! Unfortunately on Sunday he decided that he actually HATES rice cereal. Argh. So we are persevering through this and hopefully he will change his mind over the next month!

No comments: