Sunday, November 2, 2008

Church this Morning

This morning Jake and I went to church as usual. The first announcement was that there would be a couple of baby dedications today, which reminded me of our church in Nashville (Brentwood Baptist) that did baby dedications every single Sunday...super cute. I noticed, though, that the woman next to me was immediately uncomfortable. After they introduced the first baby she started crying and her husband, sitting next to her, put his arm around her. By the time they got to the second baby the woman was sobbing (fairly silently) uncontrollably. When the minister finished the dedications and worship began, I watched as the woman whispered something to her husband and immediately left the church.

Of course me being me, I am now wondering what had happened to them. Did they lose a young child...a baby perhaps? They were fairly young, though, and you wouldn't think that they would have had time to lose a toddler or older child. Or did they miscarry...maybe even recently? The other option may be that they are unable to have children in general. Whatever the reason, seeing that woman sobbing during baby dedications was one of the saddest scenes I have ever witnessed. So many of us take for granted the fact that we have never had fertility problems, but today I saw the heartbreak behind infertility.

No comments: